This brings back memories.
🪜Just 10 years ago when our sign went up over the #popupshop which was to play a significant part in the revival of a street and with it the whole town centre.
📉 Flashop Wantage, the community space which soon opened opposite and a second pop up across town together helped create the momentum that saw the number of vacant units there drop from 23 to 3 in 18 months.
Our subsequent tackling #highstreet empty shops issues projects in neighbouring towns all had at least one pop up as part of their story too.
💡…and this week we’ve been talking to #TheVacantShopsAcademy locations about how the model would work now:
- To occupy currently empty units;
- Give target businesses a chance to make a start, test their idea for real and build the track record and confidence they need to go on and secure a unit of their own longer term;
- And importantly to create the momentum that takes others from empty to let in the weeks and months ahead.
🔑 Back in 2013 there were a limited number of case studies to draw on, now there are many, like there are questions:
- How many units should you have…?
- Who takes the lease…?
- What should rent levels be set at…?
- Should it go to one business or several…?
- Is it best run under a single brand or those of its occupiers…?
- Which types of business do you target (or rule out)…?
Ten years on we’re still convinced it can be a key element of an ‘audit, engage, encourage, promote’ approach.
🤔 What – #property and #placemaking colleagues – do you think…?